Cleaning your teeth isn’t the only thing we do at your dental checkups in Rochester, MN.
An important part of our job is to examine your mouth and look for any developing problems.
Along with tooth decay and cavities, we’re also trained to spot gum disease in its earliest stage. This is known as gingivitis, and it’s reversible as long as we catch it before it advances to periodontal disease.
That’s why you never want to skip dental cleanings and exams at Northwest Dental Group every six months! But even though we have the training and experience to see what you can’t see, there are still some tell-tale signs of gum disease you should watch for in between your routine visits.
Here are five signs your gums might be in trouble:
- REDNESS & SORENESS – Hardened plaque causes gingivitis, where bacteria has collected around the base of your teeth, can make your gums red, inflamed, and irritated.
- BLEEDING – It’s not normal for your gums to bleed, but people often assume it’s a typical consequence of brushing and flossing. In reality, it’s a common symptom of gum disease.
- HALITOSIS – If you have chronic halitosis, or bad breath, that can’t be explained by your foods or drinks and can’t be helped with mints, brushing, or using mouthwash, you may have gum disease infection that needs immediate treatment.
- LONGER TEETH – Bacterial infection damages healthy gum tissue, causing your gums to pull away from your teeth which will make them look longer.
- SHIFTING TEETH – As it goes untreated, gum disease infection recedes your gums and destroys jawbone structure, leaving your teeth with nothing to keep them firmly in place. If your teeth are loose or appear to have shifted slightly out of place, visit us right away!
Your healthy body depends on a healthy mouth, so don’t let signs of gum disease go ignored! Let us treat it quickly so we can get your oral health back on track.
Call Northwest Dental Group today at (507) 203-2332 to schedule your next appointment in Rochester, MN.